What are the Aftershaves?
A toiletry product which applies to the face after shaving to soothe skin. There are liquid, lotion and gel types.
What Does Aftershave Do?
After shaving, pores expand, skin gets sensitives from razor and shaving foams. Aftershave provides;
- Antiseptic ability to prevent potential infections from cuts and razors
- Astringent ability to cleanse skin, tighten pores
- Alleviates irritation, prevents outbreaks and ingrown hairs
- Refresh with cooling sensation and aroma scent
Where can Aftershaves be used?
Aftershaves can be used after shaving or waxing for faces or part of bodies.
How to choose right aftershaves?
- Alcohol Free: Traditional aftershaves tend to include alcohols (ethanol, isopropyl alcohol or alcohol denat.) to provide clean, lighter feel and to boost preservative efficacy. However, these alcohols can cause dryness, irritation and breakouts and increase oil production after all.
- Ingredients with soothing, astringent, and anti-inflammation effect: Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Willow bark, Tea Tree, Chamomile
- Fragrance Free or No strong fragrance: Fragrance can help refresh your self but strong synthetic fragrance may cause irritations on sensitive skins. If you don’t want to use ”Fragrance Free”, choose products with mild fragrance or essential oils. Need to check if you have any allergies before use.
- Clean your hands before use aftershaves. Spray, sticks or roll on bottle types can help less stimulate skin
Natural ingredients can replace synthetic ingredients
- Astringent: Alcohol -> Witch Hazel
- Antiseptic, Anti-Acne: Benzoyl Peroxide -> Willow Bark, Tea Tree
- Scent: Synthetic Fragrance -> Essential oils